Monday, May 31, 2010

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


It's Monday! What Are You Reading is hosted by Sheila at One Person's Journey Through a World of Books.  It's such a fantastic way to connect with other bloggers who are interested in what we all love, BOOKS, to share what we are reading, what we are currently reading, and what we plan on reading in the week ahead.  I love this meme as it keeps me more focused on what I have to read, rather than just picking up the latest book I get in the mail, exclaim with excitement each time, and start reading the new book, completely forgetting about the ever-growing TBR pile (or the book I am currently reading).  Most times it works, sometimes it doesn't.    If you are interested, head on over to Sheila's blog and sign on up.  Also, if you comment on more than 10 other blogs, your name will be entered in a draw to win a book of your choice from her famous box. 

What I Read Last Week:

The Education of Bet by Lauren Baratz-Logsted - This book was a quick, fun read, but I was a little disapointed in the character development and I thought it was somewhat predictable.  There was so much potential in this novel and I don't think it lived up to its expectations.  I would still recommend it to anyone who is interested in historical fiction and just because I like this author.

Private by James Patterson & Maxine Paetro - I was a little apprehensive of this one, especially after some of the Womens' Murder Club books, but this was a pleasant surprise.  Hopefully the sequels will live up to this debut series. 

Ghosts & Echoes by Lyn Benedict - This was the second book in the series and I loved it.

What I am Currently Reading:

A Wretched Man: A Novel of Paul the Apostle by R.W. Holmen - A very interesting and absorbing read so far.

Except the Dying (Detective Murdoch Series, Book 1) by Maureen Jennings - This is a period mystery set in Toronto, near where I am currently living.  I am fascinated by the history lessons I am learning about a place where I grew up.

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan - Absorbing.

What I Plan on Reading:

They Called Themselves the KKK: The Birth of an American Terrorist Group by Susan Campbell Bartoletti

Ravished by a Highlander by Paula Quinn

There is a lot to read and an ever-growing pile of books to go through, but it's so fascinating to see what is being published.  Soon I will be on holidays and I can't wait.

How was everyone else's reading week?

9 comments:

  1. I am excited about Private - Patterson has been on a role lately and I have been reading his new stuff as fast as he can put it out there. I have not read the Womens Murder series books as I would want tog o back to book one and seriously - who has the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am glad to hear you liked Private. I am an original Alex Cross fan, did not care for the Women's Murder Club series and was leery about this one. Have a great week reading. My Monday: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/05/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-31-may.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband has been encouraging me to pick up a James Patterson for several years now. Based on the buzz on the book blogs I should listen to him. Which of his would you say is THE MUST in case I only read one. Or if you'd rather, which one would guarantee I couldn't stop with one?

    Thanx for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting Proud Book Nerd! :-) You have a great blog! Looks like you're keeping busy! :-) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy Renee - I would read some of Patterson's earlier books, like Kiss The Girls or Along Came a Spider, if you want a really good book. Some of the Maximum Ride books are really good too if you are interested in those types of books. His early Alex Cross novels are pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan Campbell Bertoletti is a really talented nonfiction writer. I look forward to hearing what you think of the new book. I am glad to hear that you like The Red Pyramid. I will be reading that one this week too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank for visiting my blog (http://leeswammes.wordpress.com)!

    I like the title "Ravished by a Highlander", sounds like pure romance or maybe even a spoof.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That mystery series set in Toronto sounds good. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete