Monday, July 19, 2010

Musing Mondays

This week's musing asks...

What does your bookshelf (or, what do your bookshelves) say about you to the people who come into your home?

Hosted by Miz B @ Should Be Reading.

First of all, I think people coming into my home would immediately understand that I am an avid reader.  Before they even saw the overstuffed bookshelf in my computer room, or the overstuffed bookshelves in the basement, they would probably be confronted by a pile of books sitting on the bottom part of my china cabinet (those would be the books that need to go back to the library).  There would probably be a pile of books sitting on the table by the couch (those would be the books in progress) and if hubby hadn't removed it yet, there would probably be a book on the kitchen table, left open to the page I was last reading. 

I don't think anyone would have a clue as to what genre I prefer by looking at my bookshelves as they would find absolutely everything there.  I tend to buy on a whim and if I am studying anything in particular, say I am going through an Elizabeth I phase, then I would buy what I could find on Elizabeth I.  But that whim could easily be the French Revolution, Hapsetshut, Age of Imperialism, Running, and I'm sure you get the picture.  I also go through phases with literature.  I have everything on my shelf (except Westerns as I don't really like that genre).  I own a lot of books and every time I give some away, I get more.  As soon as I organize the shelves into something resembling order, the books start piling up around the shelves again as more enter the house.  I've resigned myself to that fate, and so has my husband!!!!!   There is also the pile of children's books I've collected over the years and they are now in a separate part of the basement (except for some special faves that my children do not know about as I do not want them wrecking those books).  I know, I know, but I can't help myself.  I've got some absolute treasures from childhood that I've preserved and I can't bear to let my children wreck those books.  So those ones my children get from the library.

Many people think I'm crazy, but many people understand my obsession as they are readers too.  My mom is worse than I am and she wonders where I get this obsession.  Mom, have you never heard of the expression, "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree."  You taught me everything I know, Mom, including being obsessed with books.  That's why I love you so much!!!

Please leave a comment with either the link to your own Monday Musings post, or share your answer in a comment here (if you don't have a blog).  Thanks!

1 comments:

  1. I really wish I would have saved some of my childhood faves. I miss them so much. I did save a book or two for each of my boys childhood. One retitled as the "poopy" book because it got one through his entire potty training days.

    Here's my MM for today: http://composingcat.blogspot.com/2010/07/musing-mondays.html

    ReplyDelete