Monday, July 12, 2010

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

I had such a good week last week and I am really enjoying my holidays.  I took the kiddies to Ottawa for four days to visit my sister.  My other sister and her three-month-old son went too so we kind of had a family reunion and it was a lot of fun and great to see them again.  We've spread out over Ontario with our various jobs and our marriages and don't really get to see each other very often so this was really enjoyable.

I drove up through Algonquin Park and we had such lovely weather; the lakes were sparkling and dark blue, there were many kayakers and canoeists on the waterways, and the beaches were fairly busy.  I would have loved to show my kids some of the lookout points, but the minute we got out of the car, we were like "No way" and got right back in.  You get spoiled being in air-conditioning and forget that outside of the car it's 43 degrees and way too hot to do anything.  At least the heat kept the deer, the antelope, and the moose away from the road and I didn't have to worry about them bolting across the road, which was my main worry (as it is every time I drive through the park).  On the way home, we hit a nasty thunderstorm, but you can't have everything, can you?  I just love going that way though, as the road is windy and it's just so pretty!!!!!

It took me quite a while to drive up as we stopped at the trading post, some of the small arts and crafts shops, and generally had a fantastic drive up to Ottawa.  Now that my kiddies are older, we can do a lot of interesting things and it's really fun.  We had a picnic under an old wooden watertower in Barry's Bay, shopped around, checked out an old train, and walked around. 

In Ottawa, I finally got to visit the new Canadian Heritage War Museum and it's a fantastic new building.  The jeep that was shot up while my hubby was on tour in Croatia is there, and Hitler's famous black convertible is there too.  Blue's Fest was going on while we were there, and if I didn't have the kiddies in tow, I would have spent some time there too.  Keith Urban was playing the main event on Saturday night.



Unfortunately, I didn't do a lot of reading, but this is what I did accomplish.  For those new to this weekly meme, hosted by Sheila @ One Person's Journey Through a World of Books, this is a look at what you read last week, are currently reading, and are intending to read next week.

What I read last week:

A Wretched Man: A Novel of Paul the Apostle by R.W. Holmen - Very interesting and certainly gave me a lot to think about.  Review coming shortly.

Wondrous Strange (Book 1) by Lesley Livingston - I really like this book. 

Flirting With Forever by Gwyn Cready

Grace Under Pressure by Julie Hyzy - I really like this murder/mystery.  Watch for my upcoming interview with this author to be posted later today.

What I am currently reading:

In Free Fall by Juli Zeh

Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn - An interesting mystery and a real page-turner so far.

Poor Tom is Cold by Maureen Jennings - I love her series so far.  This is book 3 and I am looking forward to reading every book in this series.

Up next:

The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman

The Book of Love & The Poet Prince by Kathleen McGowan

How did your reading week go?

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great week. I have Wondrous Strange and Silent in the Grave on my TBR stack. I'm glad you enjoyed them. My Monday Report is here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a lot of great reading -- have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are you liking Julie Zeh's book? I read it a couple of weeks ago, but haven't yet posted my thoughts about it. I'll be interested to see what you think.

    have a happy reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious to read your thoughts about A Wretched Man. It's waiting on my bookshelf, ready to be read and reviewed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great week last week - reading and time with family. I have Wondrous Strange and Flirting with Forever on my tbr pile and need to find the time to get to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You were out having fun! :) I would love to read Wondrous Strange

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you had a lovely trip :)

    Grace Under Pressure sounds like a good read.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete