Saturday, March 6, 2010

Saturday Morning Thoughts


I'm sitting here this morning with my usual pepperming cup of tea contemplating yet again the annual tax season. I hate doing my taxes, yet with all of the online technology available to us now, taxes are much simpler and easier to do. So why is it I am sitting here, playing around on my blog, procrastinating, with the Standard Tax Kit on one side of me, and all of my tax papers on the other side of me (all neatly arranged as only a Type A personality can handle), avoiding it yet again? Maybe I am feeling resentful because some countries don't have to file taxes every year like we do in Canada. Maybe it is just another task in a long list of tasks that I just don't want to do (like cleaning my house). Or is it just the time of year? I sometimes wonder if I wouldn't complain so much if I had to do them in July or August when I am on holidays. I am one week away from going on a week long holiday and I simply don't want to to my taxes, yet I know it would nag at me the whole time I was away so it is a no-win situation. (deep sigh)

On a completely different tangent though, I had an evening to myself the other night. This rarely happens and instead of going to bed early as I was exhausted, I ended up watching a movie I've wanted to see for quite a while now, The Duchess. I told myself I would only watch about 45 minutes and watch the rest on Thursday. Who was I kidding? I don't know why I do that to myself as I am the worst when it comes to books. You know, I will only read to the end of the chapter and then put the book down? And ten chapters later I am still reading. So why would I think I would turn the movie off after 45 minutes is beyond me. I must have been more tired than I thought. Anyways, I really enjoyed the movie. I have always been fascinated by The Duchess of Devonshire and the interesting living relationship between the Duke, the Duchess, and his mistress. I thought the movie did a fairly good job at trying to portray the difficulty Georgiana had with that relationship and her attempts to deal with it the best way she knew how. The movie focused a lot more on her relationships rather than on her political leanings and didn't really show how much of a gambler she really was, but I would definitely recommend it to friends. I've had the book on my bookshelf for quite a while now and am looking forward to reading it this summer when I have more time for personal reading.

My daughter just woke up and I am grateful her fever is gone. Yes, one week away from holidays and the little darling ended up with 102 fever last night. Go figure! And what did the caring parents do? Panicked!!!! She slept 12 hours last night and looks to be better this morning. Hopefully she will be fine and it is just a passing thing. I will keep her in the house today though, just to make sure she is okay and to ensure she doesn't pass along anything to anyone else.

I finished Beautiful Creatures last night. Wow! And I hit over 50 followers this week so I will be having my first contest very soon. I am so excited! Look for information to be posted soon.

Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on reaching fifty followers. Thankfully my taxes are done and the refund safe stored in my saving. Sorry to hear your daughter was sick, but glad she is recovering. Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way about books. I keep reading even after I said "just one more chapter!"

    I just bought Beautiful Creatures and am pretty excited to read it.

    Congrats on 50 followers. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete