Saturday, March 13, 2010

Friday Finds

This is a weekly meme hosted by Should Be Reading that talks about the books you have discovered in the past week.  This book was given to me by a friend as she thought I would be interested, especially as I teach teenagers.  I haven't read it yet, but it sounds intriguing.



Wintergirls
by Laurie Halse Anderson

Lia and Cassie are best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies, competitors in a deadly contest to see who can be the skinniest.  But what comes after size zero and size double-zero?  When Cassie succumbs to the demons within, Lia feels she is being haunted by her best friend's restless spirit.

In her most emotionally wrenching, lyrically written book since the multiple-award-winning Speak, best-selling author Laurie Halse Anderson explores Lia's descent into the powerful vortex of anorexia, and her painful path toward recovery.

3 comments:

  1. Great blog, I just found you! Following now and stopping by to say hello

    www.barefootbysea@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great book and one that should be read by every mother as well as those that work with young people. Hard to read, but powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard a lot of good things about this book! In the past few months I've read Anderson's "Speak" and "Catalyst", and I'm a big fan of her writing. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete