Saturday, February 20, 2010

Saturday Morning Meanderings

It was a pretty busy week at work last week and I'm sitting here this morning reflecting on life, wondering about things I haven't really thought about in years. Well, okay, it's been about a year since I've really reflected like this. And you may have guessed why I'm a little maudlin this morning: Yes, it's my BIRTHDAY! I find as I grow older, and I watch the numbers get bigger every year, I tend to get a little more reflective and look back upon the year to see what I've really accomplished and whether I've met my goals. Many people tend to do this on New Year's but I've always tended to do this on my birthday and I'm not always satisfied with the results. I've always tended to be a go-getter and a perfectionist and somewhat of a leader, but upon deciding where to go for my birthday dinner, my daughter decided we were going to go go Montana's and it was decided that's where we were going. And I thought to myself, how did that happen? Where are my leadership qualities, where is my aggressiveness when I've allowed a 7 year-old to decide where I wanted to go for MY birthday dinner? And now I'm of course rebelling and sitting here reflecting on that minute little episode, thinking, how in the world did that happen?

Are there other moms out there who feel the same way?

I've always wanted to be a writer, ever since I learned about the world of books. Spending hours in a library or bookstore was an amazing thing for me. And I've always been a closet writer. It took a lot of courage for me to even start a blog, and expose even my own reviews to everyone, as I've always done them anonymously. Sounds crazy, doesn't it? But upon all this reflection, I've decided it is now time to reassert what I think is missing from my life. Don't get me wrong though. I have a fantastic husband, wonderful children, a successful career, and a good life. But I need to write again. So, after all of these meanderings, I've decided to get out and buy some journals that I used to fill as a teenager and young adult (by the dozens) and start writing on a daily basis and see where it leads. It's almost like a hunger, if anyone knows what I mean!?

On a more positive note, I am taking my family out to see The Lightning Thief tonight at the theatre, a movie I WANT TO SEE. And they didn't even argue!!!!! Assertiveness training 101 is back in force. And Montana's will still be a good choice for dinner (lol).

Here's to a new birthday year, a quiet day spent reading, and to a truly loving husband who is taking the children out for the afternoon so I can have some time to myself on my birthday. Bless you love!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hope your birthday was Wonderful :-) I have a 3 year old daughter and at times I wonder who is the boss really, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually had a wonderful birthday. My hubby took the kids out for a couple of hours so I had some time to myself. We went out for dinner and had a relaxing evening.

    I know who the bosses are in our house. I am just imagining I am control (lol)!!!

    ReplyDelete