Friday, February 26, 2010

Friday Finds

Friday Finds is a weekly meme hosted by Should Be Reading, whereby you talk about a book or books that you have discovered in the past week that you are excited about.

I saw this book at the bookstore for the first time, even went back three times to look at it, and although I didn't buy it (huge regret), it is definitely at the top of my list for the next time I am at the bookstore.



Heresy
by S. J. Parris

Giordano Bruno was a monk, scientist, poet, and magician on the run from the Roman Inquisition on charges of heresy for his belief that the Earth orbits the sun and that the universe is infinite. This alone could have got him burned at the stake, but he was also a student of occult philosophies and magic.

Bruno's pursuit of this rare knowledge brings him to London, where he is unexpectedly recruited by Queen Elizabeth I and is sent undercover to Oxford University on the pretext of a royal visitation. Officially Bruno is to take part in a debate on the Copernican theory of the universe; unofficially, he is to find out whatever he can about a Catholic plot to overthrow the queen.

His mission is thrown dramatically off course by a series of grisly murders and a spirited and beautiful young woman. As Bruno begins to discover a pattern to these killings, he realizes that no one at Oxford is who he seems to be. Bruno must attempt to outwit a killer who appears obssessed with the boundary between truth and heresy.


Doesn't it sound fantastic?

3 comments:

  1. Hello! Thanks for the follow and for helping me reach my goal. I'm following you now, too. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heresy sounds like a really interesting book.
    visited from the Saurday Network. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I am visiting from The Saturday Network and that books does sound amazing! Thanks for sharing. I'm sure I will be back again.

    ReplyDelete