Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Review: Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning


Dreamfever (Book 4)
by Karen Marie Moning
2009 Delacorte Press
390 Pages
Hardcover Edition
Genre: Paranormal

4.5/5 Stars

Summary (Press Release)
MacKayla Lane lies naked on the cold stone floor of a church, at the mercy of the erotic Fae master she once swore to kill. Far from home, unable to control her sexual hungers, MacKayla is now fully under the Lord Master's spell. In this stunning new novel, the wall between human and Fae worlds have come crashing down. And as mac fights for survival on Dublin's battle-scarred streets, she will embark on the darkest - and most erotically charged - adventure of her life.

He has stolen her past, but MacKayla will never allow her sister's murderer to take her future. Yet even the uniquely gifted sidhe-seer is no match for the Lord Master, who has unleashed an insatiable sexual craving that consumes Mac's every thought - and thrusts her into the seductive realm of two very dangerous men, both of whom she desires but dares not trust.

As the enigmatic Jericho Barrons and the sensual Fae prince V'lane vie for her body and soul, as she rallies the sidhe-seers to fight an impossible battle and the power of the Dark Book weaves its annihilating path through the city, Mac's greatest enemy delivers a final challenge...

It's an invitation Mac cannot refuse, one that sends her racing home to Georgia, where an even darker threat awaits. With her parents missing and the lives of her loved ones under siege, Mac is about to come face-t0-face with a soul-shattering truth - about herself and about the world she thought she knew.

My Thoughts
I can't say enough about this series. Karen Marie Moning has been a favourite of mine ever since I discovered the MacKeltar's years ago and she definitely does not disappoint in this fourth instalment of the MacKayla Lane series. I was enthralled, mesmerized, and kept flipping through the pages as quickly as I could. I found the plot intriguing, dark, secretive, and somewhat creepy as Ms. Moning's descriptive narrative made me easily imagine a world that was falling apart, where light and dark fought constantly, and human and monsters mixed unexpectedly, uneasily, and unknowingly. The heroes and heroines are in constant motion and in constant danger as they continue to fight the Unseelie hosts that are overtaking the world all in search of the Dark Book, a living thing capable of either imprisoning the Unseelie or destroying the world.

While I found the book absolutely mesmerizing, I also have found the series completely frustrating. It's amazing that you can enjoy reading something so much, yet want to throw the book against the wall in frustration at the end and scream. There are several reasons for this. First of all, while I have enjoyed the plot, unless you have an amazing ability to remember little facts, there are so many things happening and so many plot threads occurring that it's sometimes hard to keep track of everything that is going on. I would be happily reading along and then wham!, an event from book 1 gets brought up and it happens to be really important. There are a lot of characters to keep track of, and a lot of interactions between these characters that occur. It can be dizzying at times. I think the thing that frustrated me the most was the way the books have ended; the absolute shock of the ending in this book and in the last one was unexpected and incredibly frustrating. And now I have to wait until Book 5 to find out what happens. I can't say anything more here or I will inadvertently give away some spoilers and I don't want to do that, but suffice it to say that Book 5 better come out soon. Ms. Moning has continually promised on her blog that everything will be resolved satisfactorily in the end so I (and I'm sure all of her fans) will be holding her to that.

I think another thing that frustrates me in this novel is Jericho Barrons and V'Lane. I really am not sure what to think of Barrons, although he does seem to loosen up a bit more in this novel, just not enough to satisfy. We only learn a few more tidbits of information about him than we knew before and although I am intrigued, I am still not sure whether he is a good guy or bad guy. Would I still like Barrons and Mac to get together though? Absolutely!

Mac has grown up considerably throughout the novels and I love the fact that she still acts silly on occasion and wants to be a girly-girl. The witty and quirky dialogue is fascinating and downright funny at times. Mac is often impatient and has much to learn, but that just makes her more interesting as she is not perfect and makes many mistakes; we learn right along with her.
She is tougher and more dangerous and when she comes fully into her powers, she will be a force to be reckoned with.

Verdict
Dreamfever was an enjoyable read and I have enjoyed this series very much. With the shocking ending of Dreamfever however, I hope that Ms. Moning plans to publish Book 5 very soon as I am definitely looking forward to reading the conclusion to what I consider to be a great series.







1 comments:

  1. Knightly Academy looks intriguing. I really like the cover. Here's Mine.

    ReplyDelete