Friday, September 3, 2010

Blog Hop and Follow Friday!

I love Fridays (and not just because it's the weekend!).  Okay, maybe a little.  I'm off to freeze at the trailer/campground this weekend with a high of 16 degrees on Saturday.  Did somebody forget that summer doesn't officially end until the end of September and these temperatures are not wanted?  It just reminds us that snow is around the corner, and my hubby mentioned "snow tires" the other day.  Horrid thought!  Shudder! 

Follow Friday is hosted by Parajunkee's View and each week one blogger is selected as a feature.  All you need to do to join in the fun is visit Parajunkee's blog, sign up, follow the featured blogger, answer the question, and then have fun visiting the other blogs on the list.

Today's Question:  What is your favourite brick and mortar bookstore?

Answer:  I love the Chapters store that is in my city as it is big and bright and comfortable.  There is also a Starbucks attached to it so I can sip on my Chai Tea Latte with Soy as I stroll along and browse.  I have never had a problem finding a book I was looking for in that store, and if it wasn't actually in the store, ordering it is so easy.  I also like the Rewards program and other incentives I receive through email.  They are currently offering a great incentive for purchasing children's books and as I have two children, it doesn't take much to encourage me to buy books for them.  I can literally spend hours in any bookstore.


Jennifer @ Crazy For Books also features a great book blogger hop every Friday.  The only requirement being that your blog should have content related to books, including, but not necessarily limited to book reviews.  Meet new friends, have fun, discover new authors and books, and talk about what we can talk about for hours on end, BOOKS!

This week's question is:

Do you judge a book by its cover?

While I don't pick a book by its cover, I do admire book covers and the amazing talent of the artists who create them.  That being said however, there are some book covers that just seem to jump off the shelf and catch my attention, or I will see them as I am browsing online and click on them to see what they are all about.  Book covers have rarely influenced me to buy the book though, as I will not buy something where the plot and intrigue do not interest me no matter how beautiful the cover.  I am also one of those people where bright colours can get overwhelming at times and I will tend to gravitate to things that are less bright and less colourful.  Which is why I can only handle museums for a short period of time although I absolutely adore them.   Do I think covers are important though, and necessary?  Absolutely!!!!!  But I don't buy a book because of them.

Happy reading everyone!!!

29 comments:

  1. Hoppin' by from FF to say hello. --Have a good Labor Day weekend!

    Jinky
    @booksthattugtheheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about bright colors though don't have a problem with museums unless it's abstract art. But the books I'm always drawn too have either one main color or muted colors Or, a face or eye or something that catches me off guard. On line, I follow the reviews and a lot of times will read a review because of the cover they posted. But online, more oftern than not, it's because of the review and not the cover that I buy something. That's what I love about blogging. I have such a huge TBR, have to be bought or checked out from the library first, but I never had that before I was blogging. Adult books were becoming too cookie cutter and I was tired of the heaviness of them. YA is great. And they have great covers! I'm following you, now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem, my TBR has never been bigger than it is now. Before blogging I managed to keep it under control, but I see so many interesting books that I want to read that I can't help myself, it's like an addiction. I also find myself turning more and more to YA, but I try to post a more eclectic variety of reviews on my blog instead of just YA. I don't post everything I read or blogging will get too tedious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi There! Blog hopping here. I also became a follower. You can check my site - Cladestine Sanctuary -

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Stephanie!
    Just hopping by! I'm already a follower of your blog.

    Cheers!

    -Len-
    Musings of a Reader Happy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, Happy Friday! I really like your blog!
    I'm a new follower...yay. Come stop by Book Junky, I have 2 giveaways going on now. Find the links on my sidebar! http://thethoughtsofabookjunky.blogspot.com/
    -Steph

    ReplyDelete
  7. New follower here from Follow Friday! Your blog is absolutely wonderful!! So true...I agree with your answers. ^-^

    Have a great weekend!

    ●▬▬๑۩Tina @ Book Couture۩๑▬▬●

    ReplyDelete
  8. :) I agree book covers are important and it's what initially catches the eye. I'm trying to retrain myself that although the bold colored covers catch my eye, I also take a moment to look at the others. Hope you enjoy your weekend :)
    Hope you Hop by my site

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, just hopping by. great looking blog. Im your new follower now. =)

    cheers,
    http://thequillsstory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there!

    Just hopping over via hop! I love your blog design it's so pretty! I'm sure to stop over some other time! Have a great weekend and happy reading!I'm already a follower!

    Til next time,
    Lisa (Badass Bookie) xx
    http://badassbookie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved your blog name!I'm your newest follower!
    I'd be glad if you came by my place http://bookstobrightenyourmood.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Friday!

    Just stopping by on the hop and follow Friday. I love to see all the different blog design and to make new friends. I'm now a follower.

    Have a great weekend!!

    http://romancebookjunkies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Love you autumn themed design. I'm now following you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with covers - while I don't necessarily choose books by how nice the cover is, I do admire good ones, and I have to admit they look better on my bookshelves! I don't mind bright and colorful covers, but I prefer simple yet effective ones, with a basic colour scheme. I've always said less is more! Have a great weekend :). And I emailed you back, hopefully you received it this time :P.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stopping by via the hop...I think it depends - there's a place and time when book covers come into play as to if I will read the book.

    Happy Friday!
    ~Kristin
    Always With a Book

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for stopping by on the Hop. I am now a new follower.
    -Anne
    http://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, thanks so much for following my blog earlier! I appreciate it.

    Book covers definitely make me pick them off the shelves, so they are very important to me initially! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just stopped by for the hop. I'm guilty of judging books by their cover. I'm also a new follower. I hope you have a great weekend!!
    A Book Obsession..

    Make sure to check out my 100 followers contest here if you haven't entered! Ends 9/6

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and following me! I really appreciate it. I love the great mix of books you read on your blog. I'm guilty of judging a book by its cover but it's not the only deciding factor.

    Have an awesome weekend!
    Down The Rabbit Hole

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hopping by to say hello. Salacious covers turn me off, otherwise, I look to the back cover for reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just hopping by to say hello! I am following and can’t wait to read more from your blog. Here is my blog

    ReplyDelete
  22. Found you via the blog hop! I am your newest follower! Come visit me if you get a chance!
    http://acozyreaderscorner.blogspot.com

    I love how people have the numbers next to their comments! Is it hard?

    ReplyDelete
  23. If I see vintage-type art on a book cover, I just have to explore it. It doesn't actually influence me; but it does attract my attention which is what the publisher wants.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi there, I'm your newest follower via Crazy for books' blog hop. I love your blog background and cute button.

    Although my blog isn't about books only, I do love reading and I love meeting new people who enjoy it too.

    Looking forward to reading more from you.

    Marie (hope you'll come by for a visit sometime, I love new followers.)
    The Things We Find Inside

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello! I'm a new follower from the hop! I just want to tell you I clicked on your blog and felt a collective sigh from my spirit. I love fall colors and curling up in an overstuffed chair with a lap blanket to read by the fire. I was suddenly longing for the cooler temperatures, home, family, and Thanksgiving, so thank you for the nice ambiance!! Have a super weekend!
    Smiles!
    http://thedelusionaldiaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hopping by via the blog hop! I actually went to a Chapters for the first time ever this week, so I was uber excited when I saw you talking about it on your page! Anyways, I love your background and your blog really draws me in. Check out my blog at http://booksaremybff.blogspot.com/

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  27. I stopped by from the hop. I love your blog and the design is great! I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  28. First-time visitor...love your design.

    I do pick up a book because of its cover...not necessarily buy it, but it does make me pick it up and check it out.

    Hopping by.

    Stop by my blog if you like:

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete