Thursday, July 7, 2011

Some Bookish Questions



Today's question: Since my dog is turning 10 today … what animal-related books have you read? Which do you love? Do you have a favorite literary dog? (Snoopy, anyone?)


One of my all-time favourite books is Old Yeller (1956 Newberry Honor-Winner) by Fred Gipson.  Even though I've read it countless times, it still makes me cry (and so does the 1957 film).  This is probably one of the reasons why I tend to stay away from books featuring animals, especially if the animal is killed, as it pretty much turns me into a slobbery, mushy mess and can haunt me for days.  There is an Australian book where the main characters eat the dog for survival, and the images haunted me for weeks after reading that particular one.  It was required reading for Masters Degree course so I couldn't get out of it, but I will never read it again although the book was absolutely brilliant.  Unfortunately, the title of the book escapes me at the moment, but I will add it when it comes to me.
I am a dog-lover to the core (sorry to all of you cat-lovers out there, but other than my mom's cat, I have never been particularly fond of them; perhaps I read too many books on witches as a child LOL???!!!). 

Lastly, my other favourite book is Black Beauty by Anna Sewell.  For a long time, I wanted my own horse and everytime I rode, I used to pretend I was one of the characters in the book.  I have both of these books hidden on my bookshelf and am just at the point where I will be entrusting them to my own children.  Legacy!!!

2 comments:

  1. OMG they eat the dog. that would be hard to get out of head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black Beauty was one of my favorites.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/07/booking-through-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete