Monday, January 17, 2011

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted by Sheila @ Book Journey.  It's a great way to share the books you've read, and the ones you're currently reading, and to take control of that TBR pile to see what you need (or want) to read next.

One of my goals this year is to read more books from my own personal shelves rather than always review copies, and so far I'm succeeding quite well.   I find it a joy to search through the shelves looking for books I've been wanting to read for awhile but couldn't because of other obligations and I've started putting them in order of to-be-read.  It's been fun!  And I've forgotten about some of the books I had on my shelves too.  I was like, "When did I buy that one?"  Oops.

What I Read This Week:
The Ancillary's Mark by Daniel A. Cohen
Delirious by Daniel Palmer (& Giveaway, so check it out!)
Ruined by Paula Morris
Buckingham Palace Gardens by Anne Perry

The reviews of the books I read off the shelves, such as for Ruined and Buckingham Palace Gardens, will be posted as a mini-review wrap-up once I complete five or six such novels.  Due to an extremely busy work schedule, I thought this would help lessen the load.  Does anyone else have any hints to do this better?  I'm at a loss otherwise. But I want to keep blogging fun, and not make it tedious where I don't want to do it.

What I am Currently Reading:
The Discovery of Socket Greeny (ebook) by Tony Bertauski - I'm having fun with my new ereader.
Blood Spells by Jessica Andersen
By Fire, By Water by Mitchell James Kaplan
Mistress Shakespeare by Karen Harper
Darklight by Lesley Livingstone

I know I read a lot of books at once, but I put it down to genetics as my mother does the same thing.  I tried to do the 'read once book at a time thing', but that lasted all of five hours before I gave up.  I guess I need a lot of variety.  The only time I keep reading is when I hit page 200 or so and then I read straight through to the end.  My husband thinks I'm nuts as he will only read one book, one series at a time.  If he has to wait two weeks for the book to arrive in the mail, he won't read anything else.  In two weeks, I would literally be climbing all the walls in my house without a book, and probably driving everyone around me insane.  Any thoughts on that? 

Up Next:
Blue by Lou Aronica
XVI by Julia Karr
Tempted by Fate by Kate Perry
Encore Edie by Annabel Lyon (I'm curious to read a young adult novel by the author of The Golden Mean; it should be interesting. I actually didn't know she wrote young adult lit until I got this review copy in the mail.)


5 comments:

  1. I am working on that same goal - to quit ignoring my personal books and mix it into the reviews. So far so good and books that have waited a while for me are now being read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got more than one book going at a time too. I also have "room" books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! I find that funny. I can't read more than 1 book at a time. But I can be half way through an audiobook and while also reading a physical book. But not at the same time of course. :D I admire how you're able to read many books alternately. Happy Reading!

    What I'm reading today

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I'm the opposite of you. I only read one book at a time because I'm so afraid taht I will get the different stories mixed up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is a lot of books to be reading all at once! I need to stick to one at a time - too confusing otherwise.

    Did you enjoy Ruined? I liked that one, mostly because I used to live in New Orleans and love any book set there!

    As for how to keep up, I have the same problem. I did end up taking a leave of absence from one of my book blogs last year. I'm back now, but with shorter mini reviews instead of formal, full-length ones. I also stopped accepting any grown-up review books - as you said, too many obligations and I wasn't reading the books I already had (I still accepted review kids/teen/YA books and kept up that blog because it relate directly to some of my paid writing work).

    All of that helped, and in the middle of last year, I resumed my grown-up book blog but with brief reviews. Of course, I'm still behind but not as much!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete