Wednesday, November 24, 2010

WOW: A Discovery of Witches

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme, hosted by Jill @ Breaking the Spine, where we highlight upcoming releases we can't wait to read.  I love this meme because I always find something I didn't know was going to be published, or some new author waiting to be discovered.  Come take a look and see!!


A Discovery of Witches
by Deborah Harkness
Release Date: February 8, 2011

A richly inventive novel about a centuries-old vampire, a spellbound witch, and the mysterious manuscript that draws them together.


Deep in the stacks of Oxford's Bodleian Library, young scholar Diana Bishop unwittingly calls up a bewitched alchemical manuscript in the course of her research. Descended from an old and distinguished line of witches, Diana wants nothing to do with sorcery; so after a furtive glance and a few notes, she banishes the book to the stacks. But her discovery sets a fantastical underworld stirring, and a horde of daemons, witches, and vampires soon descends upon the library. Diana has stumbled upon a coveted treasure lost for centuries - and she is the only creature who can break its spell.

I just love this kind of stuff, don't you?

7 comments:

  1. Ohhhh... I do! Adding it to my TBR list now! Thanks for the heads up! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Grumbles to self*
    I wish bloggers would stop reading awesome books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, sounds like its right up my alley. I think February's gonna be a good reads month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just added this to my list , sounds so good.

    MYWOW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way cool! Witches and vampires are my two fav paranormals. This sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure I would like it, although I do enjoy the occasional witch tale...

    Here's mine:

    (click my name)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book puts a unique twist on vampire and witch stories. The author puts her own spin on the supernatural, creating mythology specific to the world she has made. The main characters are well developed and easy to like. There is enough real history and culture included here to appeal to a wide audience.Very good story.

    ReplyDelete