Sunday, August 30, 2026

Review: When the Wolves are Silent by C.S. Harris

by C.S. Harris
Release Date: April 14, 2026
2026 Berkley
Ebook & Audiobook ARC; 381 Pages
ISBN: 978-0593953891
ASIN: B0FHJSWHTV
Audiobook: B0GD2GYH4V
Genre: Fiction / Historical Mystery
Source: Review copy from publisher
 
4 / 5 Stars
 
Summary
London, 1816: When a notorious young aristocrat is burned alive on a windswept hill popular with neo-Druids, former cavalry officer Sebastian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin, finds himself plunged into a murder investigation shadowed by tales of ancient human sacrifices and long-buried secrets.

The victim, Marcus Toole, was the only son and heir of a prominent nobleman. His closest friend—Sebastian’s own nephew, Bayard—claims to have passed out drunk before the attack and remembers nothing. But when Sebastian and his brilliant wife, Hero, delve deeper into the sordid activities of Bayard and his friends, they come to realize that Bayard may not be as innocent as he pretends. Following a tangled trail that leads from a disaffected former soldier-turned-highwayman to a beautiful, courageous journalist and a Jamaican-born fencing master with ties to a radical political movement, Sebastian begins to suspect that Bayard and his friends are being targeting in revenge, by victims who believe they have no other recourse.
 
 
My Thoughts
When the Wolves are Silent is the next entry in the long-running Sebastian St. Cyr mystery series and I enjoyed this one quite a bit simply because the author focused on how the privileged can abuse their power during this time period rather than world politics. It's not that the impact of what was happening in the world wasn't mentioned, discussed, or described as that is the purpose behind Hero's actions in most of these books, but it wasn't the center of the story which was a bit of a relief as I needed a bit of a break from the political intrigue. Simply put, I found this one quite intriguing as it gave me a lot to think about in terms of abuse by the wealthy and how the spoiled offspring of the wealthy can have detrimental effects on a society.
 
I have always enjoyed the relationship between Hero and Sebastian, and while it was not really the center of the story it was always good to revisit them and see how they are doing. Because this series has been so long-running, it is not really necessary for the author to develop these characters the way it was done in the first few books as those of use who have followed the books are aware of who they are, what they have done, and their relationships. So, I enjoyed the focus on the secondary characters or the ones who are just appearing for the first time in these pages. I thought the author did a great job highlighting how wealth has come to be seen as a right rather than a privilege and how it has been abused throughout the generations. But what I found particularly interesting is the way people were now fighting that right and demanding answers for injustice against the abuse.  The early nineteenth century was certainly a time of change, especially after the Napoleonic Wars, and people were no longer willing to put up with 'privilege' in the same way. It would take a long time for the thinking to change, but I liked how the author developed the characters to showcase the fight and the tragedy when things go really badly.
 
The plot moved along quickly, and I was glad to see Sebastian involved in a case that did not involve the government, a government plot, treason, and so on. This was more about how young spoiled men abused their wealth and privilege to create havoc and destroy lives when they do not get their way. I liked how this theme was woven around other crises such as drought and the plight of soldiers returning from the war. The theme of slavery in the colonies also rose to the surface in this book through some of the characters and it was interesting to see how the author wove that throughout the story as well.  There were a lot of themes running through this books as well: poverty, abuse, rape, abuse of power, privilege, wealth, war, slavery, drought, helplessness, and so on.  
 
Verdict
When the Wolves are Silent was quite enjoyable and featured the type of storytelling that I think is one of the strengths of this author's as it focused more on the society, the time period, and some of the difficulties the people experienced during this time period without having to focus on the political leaders. The themes running through this book also gives the reader a lot to think about and to reflect on as you read about the plight of the people.  I did struggle with the previous two books in this series, which happens in long-running series, so I was quite happy to see the author focus on what I think are strengths of this series, the plight of everyday people and their fights for justice.
'  

 


0 comments:

Post a Comment