by Kelley Armstrong
Release Date: February 17, 2026
2026 Minotaur Books
Ebook and Audiobook ARC Editions; 337 Pages
ISBN: 978-1250351821
ASIN:
B0F5PDG8NF
Audiobook: B0F6FTWB73
Genre: Fiction / Mystery
Source: Review copy from publisher
4 / 5 Stars
Summary
Detective Casey Duncan and her husband, Sheriff
Eric Dalton, are entering a new chapter of life as parents to their
six-month-old baby. Their family is hidden away in the sanctuary town of
Haven's Rock where they can live safe and private lives. But when they
encounter hikers too close to the borders of Haven's Rock, they realize
they're in danger of being exposed.
When they find one of the hikers dead the next day, they realize that their paranoia was justified, but they're no closer to finding out who these people were and what they were doing in the vicinity of Haven's Rock. Only by tracing the hikers' movements, as well as examining the recent behavior of their closest neighbors, the workers of a secretive mining camp, will they be able to figure out where the threat is coming from and shut it down. Otherwise, the lives of everyone in Haven's Rock--and their safe, secure new existence--are at risk.
When they find one of the hikers dead the next day, they realize that their paranoia was justified, but they're no closer to finding out who these people were and what they were doing in the vicinity of Haven's Rock. Only by tracing the hikers' movements, as well as examining the recent behavior of their closest neighbors, the workers of a secretive mining camp, will they be able to figure out where the threat is coming from and shut it down. Otherwise, the lives of everyone in Haven's Rock--and their safe, secure new existence--are at risk.
My Thoughts
First Sign of Danger had an interesting story line in the fact that you can be both paranoid and overly cautious to the point where your paranoia sees things that aren't really there. I like this book far better than the previous installment as it clears up several loose threads that have been on-going for several books and it always delves into the psychological aspects of living in secrecy and the impact that can have on its people. There was a lot to explore in this book.
I have been following Casey and Eric since book one of the Rockton books and reading about them as parents is quite interesting. As one of the only children in the community, it did make me wonder about the child growing up, their teenage years, and how Casey and Eric would cope with that as they are so isolated. It was fun to see them coping with a teething baby while they still had to investigate the strangers in the forest and how that discovery would impact them. While the author doesn't ignore the character development, because we are so many books into the series, I don't think it is as relevant as it would be at the beginning of the series and the author can focus on the ensemble as well as the psychological elements of being so isolated.
The plot was interesting and like I already mentioned, it did clear up some threads that have been continuing throughout the series, and it definitely was not what I was expecting. The Yukon wilderness comes alive in these books and as an avid hiker myself, I love the descriptions of them in the woods and how they track and search for people and clues. I am personally deathly afraid of grizzly bears so I don't think I would hike there myself, but I the descriptions were vivid and I could picture myself there. While the territorial dispute is central to the story, there is underlying plot that has been seeping through the books for a while now and it is finally rearing its ugly head as Casey and Eric realize they have a much bigger problem than they were anticipating. The author does a great job at building suspense and tension, balancing procedural work with creepy scenes (such as the one with the bear), and when I thought I had it figured out, another twist came along.
Verdict
First Sign of Danger was a step up from the previous book where I had to suspend belief way too much. It was full of twists and turns and the author definitely showed how dangerous the elements in the Yukon (Canada's boreal forest) could be in this one. If you hike, you know how quickly things can turn ugly and I like how she showed that, no holding back. While I do think this could be read as a standalone, I do recommend you start with the Rockton series to get a full understanding of the characters, their paranoia, and why they live where they live for a richer experience.


0 comments:
Post a Comment