Tuesday, April 8, 2014

G is for Ghosts

My Favourite Things: Ghosts

I couldn't go past this letter without writing about one of my favourite things: Ghosts.  I have been fascinated by them since...well, forever.  While I have an addiction to books, I think I have a serious addiction to ANYTHING that contains ghosts in it, whether it happens to be movies or books.  With these posts, I'm sort of taking a trip down memory lane, and this one is no exception as certain movies are zinging around my brain right now as being ones that have certainly influenced my movie choices over the years.

Child of Glass is the story about a boy who moves into a spooky old Louisiana mansion that once belonged to a notorious pirate.  Catching sight of a little girl playing on his property, he discovers the girl is actually a Creole ghost from the 19th century who is seeking is help finding a child of glass.  With many adventures, they eventually solve the mystery.  I remember this one so clearly as I believe it was my first brush with a ghost movie that was not a cartoon, and it wasn't in a book.  This opened up my eyes to a whole new world of possibilities.
L
Lady in White is another of those movies that really stood out in my mind as it developed a life-long love for those boarding-type horror/ghost stories that I just adore today.  This one is quite different though, as a young boy is locked into a cloakroom at night and witnesses the brutal attack of a young girl, then is attacked himself.  To his surprise, the young girl then asks for his help - she is searching for her mother and can't do it alone.  I remember how scared I was watching this movie, but also how intrigued I was by the possibilities of rendering someone scared and the techniques that were being used.  Loved it!


And who has ever forgotten Poltergeist and those lovely words, "They're back!"  Scared the --- out of me, if you really want to know the truth.  But I was fascinated as well, and drawn to the movie, I couldn't help myself.  Apparently they are making another movie in this series which will release in 2015.  And yes, I will definitely watch it.  At home, safe behind my pillows, where no one will see me embarrass myself if I have to cover my face and peek through my fingers. 





Today, I am an avid fan of all types of ghosts movies and books, although I do have to be in a certain mood to watch certain movies.  I am not one for what I call "slash and gash", but I do love the psychological thrillers that make me jump three feet out of my chair and keep me on the edge of my seat.  No Saw movies for me, but the scary ghost stories, bring 'em on!!

6 comments:

  1. Cloak room fear! This sounds like something I could have related to back in... oh, second grade or so. Cloak rooms had that special... fear factor connected.

    Are you aware of all the creepiness that became of the cast of the original Poltergeist movie? If you like cemeteries there is a really cool one in Westwood (a Los Angele neighborhood) where you will find celebrities like Rodney Dangerfield, Farrah Fawcett, Marilyn Monroe and.... the little girl in Poltergeist.

    Thanks for an interesting walk down memory lane!

    Julie Jordan Scott
    The Bold Writer from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am aware of the "curse" of the Poltergeist movie which is why I know they were hesitating over the decision to make another movie in the series. Fascinating stuff, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. Ghosts are amazing to watch and read about, I totally agree!

    Please visit my book blog, www.thatgirlybookworm.blogspot.ca

    I'm doing the A-Z Challenge and my theme focuses on books with the title featuring the letter of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to follow a theme, but am not being very successful at it. Cheers!

      Delete
  3. It's been awhile since I've seen Poltergeist, but I love that film. Particularly Jerry Goldsmith's score.

    Have you seen the classic ghost film The Uninvited?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't but I have heard of it. It's on my list to watch when I get a chance.

      Delete