Saturday, April 5, 2014

E is for Eight Cousins

My Favourite Things: Eight Cousins

You are probably wondering, "What is this talking about?" Eight Cousins?  I have more cousins than that, so what is so important about cousins?  Actually, this isn't about my cousins, as that would probably not fit into this post, I would need a lot more space to tell that story, but this is about the book that hooked me onto classic literature.  Before I discovered the whole of science fiction and fantasy, but that is also for another blog post. 

I actually read this one at my memere's house one year simply because I could not settle down to any of the gothic mysteries she kept in the house; I guess I wasn't old enough to tackle those (that would come the following year), and was at a loss as to what to read.  I was going through a kind of slum where the books I brought
with me weren't doing it for me, and I was scrounging for something else to read.  Then I saw this tattered old book, Eight Cousins, where the cover was falling off, and I thought to myself, we don't treat books like this, I need to fix it.  So, off I went searching for glue and tape, and of course, as I was walking, I started to read the first page.  Couldn't help myself.  Next think I knew, I was curling up in my memere's swing, cozy as a hatchling, and NOTHING could entice me to leave my spot, not even the invitation to go cycling through some big (and I mean big) mud holes.  When I am turning down a chance to play in the mud, you know something's up. For those of you who are not familiar with Eight Cousins, this is the story of Rose Campbell, a shy young lady who goes to live in a household with her many aunts and many cousins.  The questions being pondered in this book surround the struggles of a wealthy young girl just trying to fit in with those around her, and then her struggles as she grows up.  It features some strong adult characters, even if the kids are a little too good to be believable at times. It's just a wholesome story in itself.  And the adventures the kids have are a lot of fun.

Naturally, I read it in one day, which led, I am ashamed to admit it now, to a kind of fit, as I needed to go to the nearest library NOW!!  Louisa May Alcott was my new hero, and as I so often do, when I find an author I like, I tend to read through the entire set of books before moving on to something else.  And this led to a whole new experience for me.  I discovered Little Women.  I had my first experience with how much a book can send you through the wringer and make you cry and then make you feel hopeful.  It was quite an emotional punch for such a young girl, but this was the book that made me realize exactly what a book can do to your emotions and how invested you can get in the characters.  I still get shivers when I think about poor Beth. 

To this day, I have the complete Louisa May Alcott collection on my shelf as well as Lucy Maud Montgomery and Laura Ingalls Wilder.  They are hidden away so they don't get ruined, but one day I will pull them out and give them to my daughter.  Maybe she will experience the love for books that I did, and develop a lifelong passion just because that right book landed on her lap at the right time.  Or maybe not, but at least I can try.  Cheers, everyone!!

6 comments:

  1. This is one of Alcott's books I have not read... I have read Little Women many, many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Little Women, but this one just made me happy as I remember their adventures being fun. Mind you, my thoughts are definitely clouded by a childhood viewpoint as I haven' read it since, but I just enjoyed it. It was enough to set me on a lifelong path of reading any classic novel I could find. Without it, I probably would not have discovered the gothic novel so early.

      Delete
  2. A well thought out post for the day. I haven't read either of the books, though my sister was definitely a fan of Little Women. It does sound interesting and I may have to check them out some day.

    A to Z commenter
    Reading at Dawn blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking this trip through memory lane has made me feel like watching the movie Little Women. Have fun with your reading!

      Delete
  3. I read all these with my kids when they were in elementary school. Fun series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter was never interested, but perhaps now that she's older I may try again. Anne of Green Gables is timeless.

      Delete