Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Review: In My Attic by Lina Hansen

In My Attic (A Magical Misfits Mystery, Book #1)
by Lina Hansen
Release Date: July 1st 2020
2020 Literary Wanderlust
Kindle Edition
ISBN: 978-1942856511
ASIN: B085KPYKPT
Genre: Fiction / Cozy / Paranormal
Source: Review copy from author

4 / 5 Stars

Summary
Aunt Eve is dead - murdered - and Myrtle has inherited the Witch’s Retreat, a Bed and Breakfast in the idyllic British village of Avebury. As Myrtle bumbles along in search of a murderer, she uncovers secrets more shocking than death: a hidden magical relic, a coven of amateur witches, and modern witch hunters on the prowl. 





My Thoughts
In My Attic is the first book in a brand new cozy paranormal series set in Avebury near the ancient standing stones.  Once I discovered the setting, plus knowing this was going to be paranormal in nature, I was hooked; I mean you can't go wrong when you have amateur witches, secrets, a treasure, witch hunters, and a main character who has no idea what is really going on.  Oh, and don't forget a magical plant, and a cat!!

First of all, you can't go wrong with an inn named the Witch's Retreat.  The whole town has this cozy atmosphere that lends itself well to a cozy paranormal mystery and when you combine the setting with a bunch of quirky characters, well, it was a lot of fun.  Myrtle finds herself out of her depth when she returns for her aunt's funeral and discovers that not is all as it seems; while the police were quick to call is a misadventure, things begin happening around Myrtle and in the inn that make her wonder if her aunt's death was possibly something more sinister.  Unfortunately, her cousin Daisy is not a lot of help as she has problems of her own so Myrtle needs to rely on people she doesn't know very well to discover the truth. Throw in a couple of housekeepers, some quirky guests, police officers, townspeople, a cat, and a plant, and now you have a situation just waiting to escalate as well as some interesting plot points.  I developed a huge fondness for the cat, Tiddles, as well as the plant.  

Myrtle develops quite nicely as a character, and I like that her mind is more 'scientific' rather than 'romantic' as she questions the paranormal activity around her and doesn't necessarily take everything at face value.  It's only when Myrtle decides to really learn more about her aunt that she discovers this other side to her and in the process, learns more about herself and her family.  Secrets, gotta love those family secrets.  The paranormal wasn't in your face, but was really subtle and I liked that about the book.  

The plot, especially in the beginning, was rather slow, but never plodding.  The author does make use of self-reflection and self-talk, mainly from the main character with regards to her behaviour, but it was funny and meant to be humorous, which it was.  It also gave the author a chance to give the reader some extra insight into her character and things that were happening around her.  The first book in a series can be a bit slower simply because the author is introducing the characters and the setting, and I appreciate that.  I was never bored and I read the entire book in one sitting.  Even though I figured out the murderer fairly early on, it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book.

Verdict
In My Attic was a fun introduction to a new paranormal series.  I enjoyed the characters and thought the plot was enjoyable.  Yes, the characters don't feel as developed as they could be, except for maybe Myrtle, but that doesn't bother me as I am hoping to learn a lot more about them in future books.  I enjoyed how they seemed to pop up at random times in the book which made me think there was actually a purpose behind it.  The actual mystery was entertaining and definitely led one on a merry chase, full of secrets and mysteries, wrapped up in a cloak of magic that didn't detract from the story. I am definitely looking forward to the next book in this series. 

 

1 comments: