Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Author Interview: Jennifer Malone Wright

I am pleased to welcome Jennifer Malone Wright, author of the The Vampire Hunter's Daughter series, who is here today to answer a few questions about her series as well as talk to us about some of the things she is working on.  The Vampire Hunter's Daughter series is the story of a young girl, 14 year old Chloe, who witnesses the death of her mother by vampires, and is rescued by a group of vampire hunters.  Kept hidden from her family for most of her life, Chloe is bewildered and confused by what she is learning and sets out to unveil the truth as well as seek revenge on the vampire who killed her mother.


Interview with Jennifer Malone Wright

1) To start off, can you tell me a little bit about yourself?  How did you become interested in writing novels?
I love to read, and have been writing since I was in grade school. I wanted to write like the authors of the novels, but also because I just loved writing.

2) Can you tell us a little about your novel? What is it like to create your own world?
The Vampire Hunter’s Daughter series is about a girl named Chloe who’s mother was murdered by vampires right in front of her. The vampires almost kidnap her but she is suddenly rescued by a group of vampire hunters. They take her home to their community and she finds out that she is related to the vampire hunters, namely, her grandfather whom she has never met. The vampire hunters are a breed, descended from angels and demi-gods, so they have special gifts and are born warriors. In this community they are trained from birth to kill vampires.

Chloe decides to stay, because she wants to train and get tough so she can avenge her mothers death. Around the same time, she discovers that the vampire responsible for killing her mother…is her father.

I love creating my own world. It’s freaking awesome. You can have it anyway you want and that is an amazing feeling. When I decided I wanted the hunters to be descended from angels and demi-gods and did the back story on that, I was super excited.

3) How much research was involved in the writing?
Actually, a lot more than you would think. I research the names of each of my characters and they have a meaning. Greek history and mythology is a huge part of this story and I try to keep that theme going. Chloe, for instance means green shoot in Greek, but her last name, Kallistrate means beautiful army. Because they are hunters, get it. I research backgrounds of some characters and all kinds of other stuff.

4) What was your greatest challenge while writing this novel?  .
The biggest challenge for me is always editing. I suck at it and love my editors more than they will ever know.

5) In this novel, we are introduced to some very interesting and intriguing characters.  Who was the most fun to write about?  Which character presented the biggest challenge?
Chloe is for sure the most fun to write, but I do like writing Christina because she is such and B word. The hardest was Trevor, the bad guy. I didn’t like him and it was showing in my writing, so I had to do a lot of character work on him.

6) What are 3 things that are 'must haves' when you write? Do you have any writing rituals?
Coffee, clean and quiet. My ritual’s are putting my hair up and I must have my ear buds in to really get in the zone.

7) What advice would you give to an aspiring writer? 
My advice is always research everything. Research the industry, research the craft, research your books events, places and characters, everything. It is the best thing you can do for yourself. Also, don’t ever let someone tell you that you can’t do what you’re doing. Be driven and you will succeed.

8) Can you share with us any projects that you are currently working on or plans for the future? What can fans expect next from you?  Are there other genres in which you are interested but haven't yet explored?
I have several projects in the works. I’m starting the next segment of TVHD but we are calling it the Arcadia Falls Chronicles. There will be more of Chloe, but other characters points of view and stories as well. Then, I’m finishing the second book in my Jaiden series and I’ve started plotting out a post apocalyptic serial novel. I don’t know about changing genres, I might cause I write whatever I feel like.

9) Favourite authors? Role models?
My favorite authors are too hard to choose, but the ones that have influenced me are Anne Rice (of course) Stephen King, V.C Andrews, and I used to read a lot of Christopher Pike when I was young. Lol 

10) Do you have a pivotal point in your life, a point when you knew you would be a writer?  How did it develop?
I knew in grade school. I don’t really have some big elaborate story, I just knew. I’ve always written and it’s always been what I wanted.

11) What do you like to do when you are not writing? What is your ultimate luxury?
Uh… when I’m not writing I like to watch TV and do stuff outside. I don’t get much time without my kids, but I love, love, love to lay out in the sun and read with a big drink.

12) Is there anything else you would like to share with your readers?
I’d like to say thank you! Without you, the readers, I wouldn’t be the writer I am.

1 comments: