Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Review: Europea Halls 2: A Summer in Budapest by Alan Shivers

by Alan Shivers
Release Date: January 20, 2024
2024 Independently Published
Ebook ARC Edition; 246 Pages
ISBN: 979-8872174912
ASIN: B0CJHT1LTH
Genre: Fiction / YA Slasher
Source: Review copy from author

4 /5 Stars

Summary
When the survivors of Europea Halls' massacre go on a summer trip to Budapest, they are in dire need of a good time. However, when one of their new friends gets brutally killed, it seems like the past is still hunting them.Will the group be able to crack the code on how to bend the rules of a sequel or is  the killer one step ahead of them?
 
My Thoughts
Europea Halls 2 is the second book in a planned slasher trilogy, and this one follows the survivors to Budapest as they look to relax and finally try to leave the past behind them.  Dealing with the after-affects of what happened in Brussels, this book is at once an exploration of PTSD and the fight to take back their safety nets, and I enjoyed every conflicting aspect of that as they explored Budapest under a shadow of doom.

First of all, it is really difficult to talk about the main characters in this book as it gives away so much of the first book, so I will not be using names or identities. I really liked the exploration of the trauma the survivors were carrying as it would have seemed fake to do otherwise. One of the weaknesses of the first book was the character development, and I feel like the author very much improved on that in this book as I got to know them a bit better and felt so much more empathy for what they were going through. This adds another layer to what is happening as when you are empathetic, it adds to the tension so you are afraid that something might happen to one of the characters, and when it does, it is terrifying. This was missing in the first book, and I was so glad to feel that connection in this one.  

The plot in the first half was a bit slower, but I didn't mind too much as it gave the author time to explore character development and help the reader understand a lot of the trauma the characters were dealing with from the events in the first book. It also allowed for the introduction of a few new characters, something I enjoyed.  Once we got halfway through though, the action picked up considerably and didn't let up and so did the tension.  I like how the author uses his characters to discuss slasher films and the tropes in sequel films as it gives you some foreshadowing, but then throws it all upside down. It's kind of fun actually, and it reminds me of the film 'Scream' when one of the character discusses what you should do and not do in a horror film  Although I know this is supposed to a slasher film where things should be over the top, but sometimes some scenes were too far-fetched for me as I wondered how they would have this type of knowledge or be able to do some of the things they did.  

Verdict
Europea Halls 2 was a fun, quick read, and I enjoyed it tremendously.  I loved the Budapest setting and how the architectural beauty contrasted with what was happening. It is definitely a type of over-the-top slasher book that is very much dialogue-driven, but that is what is so fun about it, it doesn't take itself too seriously while still having some serious things about it.  I am definitely looking forward to book 3 when it is released in May 2024 so I can finally find out what is behind everything.

 


0 comments:

Post a Comment