Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Review: Reconstructing a Relationship by Micah Castle

by Micah Castle
Release Date: August 5, 2022
2022 D&T Publishing LLC
Ebook Edition; 68 Pages
ISBN: 978-8843926960
ASIN: B0B8QHQT2K
Audiobook: B0BZ8YTJX6
Genre: Fiction / Horror
Source: Review copy from author

4 / 5 Stars

Summary
Drew and Terry while out on a date suffer a terrible car accident. The boyfriend dies, but the girlfriend survives. Desperate to be with her love once more, Terry steals Drew’s brain from the morgue and escapes the hospital. She’s determined to bring him back, by any means necessary.

Through years of reading ancient books, learning forgotten languages, and drawing symbols she cannot comprehend, Terry successfully gets what she wants… And, what she deserves.
 
My Thoughts
Reconstructing a Relationship was definitely more than I thought it would be. This body horror novella was a fast-paced twist on Frankenstein, and I loved how the book was written, revealing the horror one piece at a time.  There was little gore, violence, or sex, but I could feel the tension mounting in my body as I read, something I enjoyed and savoured.  
 
Both characters were well-written. At first, I had sympathy for Terry's character, but the author was skilled in making me realize the true depth of her depravity and I slowly realized how deplorable she really was.  She was selfish and really gave no thought to anyone other than herself. I enjoyed the contrast of Terry to Drew, whose greatest purpose in life was to escape. You get to understand what really happened through his eyes and slowly your whole perspective changes.  It was brilliantly done. 
 
The story and plot was fast-paced and while at first I thought it would be about grief, a couple of twists quickly put that thought to rest.  Told from both Terry and Drew's POV, the story was wild as the story shifted quite a bit halfway through, but only for the best of reasons.  For me, that shift really propelled the story and I thought it was quite clever.
 
Verdict
Reconstructing a Relationship was a clever novella, well-written, fast-paced, that essentially grabs you from the first page and never lets go.  What a ride! Highly recommend this to fans of body horror. 


 

1 comments: