Friday, May 13, 2011

Some Bookish Questions & Enquiring Minds

It's been an interesting week thus far and I am certainly enjoying the weather. It's been so nice to see sunshine instead of rain, although we'll be getting more of that this weekend apparently. I went to Toronto yesterday to visit the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) and to a French Restaurant (Le Papillon) and enjoyed myself tremendously; I always enjoy the dinosaur exhibit and the modern art exhibits. I will be taking my children there this summer as they are now old enough to really appreciate these types of activities.


Last night I had a dream where I was attacked by a book again. I think I am taking on too much, both at work and with reading, especially if it's entering my dreams. Reading is a necessary activity for me every day, but when books are entering my dreams as monsters, I think that's a sign to back off a little bit and destress. My kids thought the dream was hilarious as they know how important reading is to me. My son even suggest I write a story about it, something I have given serious thought. A little side note, I was secretly proud of the fact my son got in trouble yesterday for reading during Math class. He had the book hidden under his Math book and was sneaking in the reading whenever the teacher turned her back. Okay, I realize he should not have been doing that, but at the same time he's following in his momma's footsteps and I was sort of proud about that. He got the book taken away for the rest of the day and was upset because he had to wait until last night before he could find out what happened. Boy, do I remember those days!!!! It was on the tip of my tongue to counsel him to learn to be sneakier, but I guess that would have been wrong and he will just have to learn the sneakiness on his own. (It's a good thing he doesn't read these right now.)


Question:
Do you read books “meant” for other age groups? Adult books when you were a child; Young-Adult books now that you’re grown; Picture books just for kicks … You know … books not “meant” for you. Or do you pretty much stick to what’s written for people your age?

Answer:
It's funny, but until I was older I never thought of books in terms of children or adult. When I went to the library I just read whatever took my fancy. I was an avid/gifted reader and reading anything was never a problem for me; I could easily read a dozen novels in a week. I did have to re-read some novels as an adult however, as I did not fully understand some of the innuendos of what I was reading until I was older. Flowers in the Attic is an example as I read the novel when I was ten years old, but definitely did not grasp some of the sexual connotations until I re-read it several years later and went, "Oh, so that's what that means!" When I did my Masters degree, I had to analyse some children's picture books in terms of their post-modernism and some of the ones I found were extremely difficult to analyse and were definitely not created with children in mind, even according to the authors themselves. I hate to categorize and label books and especially hate being told to read what people call 'adult' books. Reading is reading!!!!

Enquiring Minds is hosted by Dollycas's Thoughts.

Question 1: What is your favourite thing to do on a sunny bright spring day?

Anything as long as it doesn't involve going to work. I could happily spend time at the trailer, sitting on the deck, reading. I could work in the garden, go for a walk, go to the park, anything as long as it is outdoors and involves enjoying the fresh air. After a brutally long and snowy winter, these days are especially welcome.

Question 2: What is your favourite colour?

RED! Bright, eye-popping red.   And ORANGE!

Question 3: Do you have a favourite month of the year?

Not really. I like them all for different reasons.  I love July and August because I am on holidays and who doesn't like being on holidays.  I love my job and what I do, but man, do I love my holidays!!!  I always enjoy December,...well, it's Christmas.  And we always travel during March Break to the Caribbean so that's enjoyable.  I'm not necessarily fond of November as I find it dreary and long, but I do celebrate my anniversary during that month so there's at least something to look forward to. 

Have a great weekend, everyone!!!

2 comments:

  1. I used to sneak and read during other classes. While others were sneaking, writing and passing notes, I was reading. I never got caught either! That shows he really loves to read...that's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it took ,e so long to visit, when blogger ate my Thursday posts last week, I freaked but thankfully they reappeared but then hubby to me away for most of the weekend to celebrate our 28 wedding anniversary, so here I am today.

    I love the story about your son, I used to do the same thing in Spanish class when we were all in these little cubicles listening to the lesson on headphones, I was always reading instead of listening and still ended up with a "B". lol

    See you next week!!!

    ReplyDelete